Re: Orca Pictures

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Captain Tim on November 07, 2004 at 22:08:21:

In Reply to: Orca Pictures posted by Chris on November 07, 2004 at 21:15:14:

Once again I have to say that one of the best things about this job, is you never know what you will see.
On the way home from a very good trip at SBI with Reef Seekers I was talking to Kim Lancaster, 2nd Captain, in the wheel house when I saw I thought at first a very large pod of dolphins. They were really spread out, and the spray from their blowholes did not look right. We watched for a while and finally we decided they were whales. I thought at first they were pilot whales, and excited. (I have not seen any of them in over 15 years). As we got closer the whales were all over the place, easily a 2-mile spread. Then we recognized then. They were Orcas. Mostly they were in sets of two or three. We did not see any single ones. We did not see the male. As one of the pics show there was a group of 4. Every now and then they would come up exactly together. If you look closely you will see that the one on the far right is a baby.
Last year around this time we saw a pod of Orcas, about the same place. I wonder if this the same pod?
The last pic is of SBI from the west end of Cat. I have never seen it this clear. Not sure if this is Suttle or not. It could be a ship or boat.
Terry May took these pics of the whales.
Captain Tim
Great Escape Charters Inc.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]