Re: Killer shark may have been aroused - expert

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bat Ray on November 17, 2004 at 14:51:43:

In Reply to: Re: Killer shark may have been aroused - expert posted by stephen clark on November 17, 2004 at 01:13:02:

I don't think there is really a "norm" for GWS behavior. Everytime people say GWS do things one way, they never fail to surprise us. I'm sure if any animal, GWS included, are hungry enough they will eat anything if they have the opportunity. They would probably finish the job more often if there were not other people around assisting the victim.

On another note...I was down at Guadalupe Island a couple weeks ago and we had the chance to see several GWS sharks breaching very close to the boat. One breached only about 30-40 feet from the port side of the ship for no apparent reason. I thought it was very interesting to see that breaching is not restricted to just hunting.

According to fisherman living on the island, they lost an abalone diver at the south end of Guadalupe about 4 weeks ago. The diver was using a hooka and apparently the line was brought up with no diver on the end. His body was never found. It made me wonder how many possible attacks like this are likely never documented?

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]