Re: Question for Elaine or Chris

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ross-O on November 22, 2004 at 14:05:56:

In Reply to: Question for Elaine or Chris posted by AADIVER on November 22, 2004 at 11:19:00:

BASIC:
For basic stuff (cropping, sharpening, resizing, changing format, organizing, renaming, basic color correction) it's hard to beat the FREE IrfanVIEW (irfanview.com). I think you'll find that it has much of the same functionality as the almost free $50 ACDSee (ACDSee.com).

High End:
For advanced stuff like manipulating colors, fixing problems with individual pixels of an image, or cropping out a seal and placing it on a bar stool next to MJG, you'll want Photoshop. Be prepared to spend a lot of time fighting the learning curve on Photoshop. As with most power tools, it takes some time and education to master.

Mid Grade:
I don't play here so I don't have a good feel for what's out there. Check out some of the programs Diver Z referenced in his article. You'll likely find something that can meet your needs and still be easy and affordable.

In the mean time, download Irfanview and use it to figure out what's happening to your pics.

What format & size are you saving in your camera (it should be something like 2048 x 1536 saved in one of the low compression jpeg modes).

Ross-O

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]