Re: mature male sheepheads(correct spelling)

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Captain Tim on November 23, 2004 at 20:20:19:

In Reply to: mature male sheepshead posted by tommy7 on November 23, 2004 at 13:33:40:

I thought about posting on this earlier, but wanted to see where this was going. Arron, good job exactly to the point. In fact there is such a problem with the trapping of "Sheephead" (correct spelling) that I was sent a letter from F&G that the size may be upped to 13 inches (currently 12 inches). Sheephead are in big demand from the Asian community and the commercial fishers are taking advantage of this. Arron, your pic proves this.
Another problem with Sheephead is look in almost any local fishing cookbook. They tell you that Sheephead are the poor mans lobster. Boil it and it tastes just like lobster, after all they do eat a lot to them. To that end, a few years ago, the belief was kill a sheephead save hundreds of bugs. Don't know if that is true or not.
I have shot and eat Sheephead in the past. I do not like them. They though have a very mild flavor for divers that eat fish, but are also very mushy. Bass is much better, and Yellow Tail better yet.
To the original post and tommy7. To shoot any fish just for a trophy should be illegal. To shoot a fish for dinner, not a problem. One of the things that makes me the maddest, is when I am cleaning the boat at the end of the day, and have to throw out dead fish. Divers shoot the fish, and then just leave them in the live well. I agree with the Cat Capt. that commented on divers being upset about the fish taken and killed from the Aquarium, but do not comment about the fish left to die in my live well.
Brad; wish all Sheephead would take the stance that you posted. I have never seen a Sheephead shot in the head, they are always side shots. Sheephead have such a thick bone structure that I don't think many spear guns could penetrate them. Also it makes for a much smaller target.

Captain Tim
Great Escape Charters Inc.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]