Trip Report:: Sea Divers trip to San Miguel, Tallcott, and Santa Cruz

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on December 11, 2004 at 23:01:18:

Trip Report and Photos: Sea Divers trip to San Miguel, Tallcott, and Santa Cruz December 4th and 5th.

I started my dive trip with a stop at the Peace Scuba Center. I had to check out this new dive shop. It is a pretty neat place. It is directly on the route between the freeway and the boat so it is very convenient for last minute dive supplies. In my case, I had a high pressure hose that was showing signs of wear. They replaced it and had me back on my way to the boat in no time.

Captain Eric is smiling in the photo above. Would he still be smiling when he arrived at the dock to find that the Peace had been boarded by a pack of Reindeer?

No sweat! He started the engines and we were off on an ultra smooth overnight glide to San Miguel Island.

Saturday morning we were greeted with sunshine and almost 70 degree weather. Wow!!! This was winter diving in California at its best.

Our day started at the Pinnacles Boomerang and Skyscraper followed by an afternoon at Talcott shoals. The water was a nippy 55 degrees and the visibility was holding at around 60 feet. The Sea Divers got right into lobster hunting, spear fishing, scallop shopping, and underwater photography.

Some Sea Divers spent a good part of their surface intervals cleaning their abundant catch.

Some also added a touch of topside holiday cheer.

As is customary, the bubbling hot tub was a popular post dive gathering site. Actually, when you are cold it is like that thing is filled with holy water.

It seemed this trip was going to be a winter nirvana of great weather, beautiful sunsets, Jacuzzi evenings ,and, pristine diving conditions.

Late in the afternoon, however, Captain Eric made the announcement that he expected the weather to turn a little "ugly" overnight. He wanted us to "be prepared". Some suggested that we might want to hang it up and head back for an easy day of "Bar Diving" on Sunday.

What!!!!! Loose a day of diving? This was a Sea Diver trip. We may look like softies but don’t let appearances fool you.

Just as the Weather Grinch was threatening to steal our beautiful winter diving, the group began their magical transformation.

Come morning, we showed that we were ready for whatever environmental hardship we might face.

The crew met our determination with smiling faces and a display of their finest foul weather gear. They braved a nasty day of tank filling and fin service with not so much as a whimper.

We completed four dives at Santa Cruz in wind and rain and even some hail.

A hearty group of divers we were

How did everyone keep those hats on? Well........

(Just kidding)

Next we settled in for a really rough ride home.

For anyone who missed out on the experience of becoming sea sick the video clip below filmed during that rough ride just might give you a second opportunity.

Many thanks to the Captain and to the Crew of the Peace for another job well done. It doesn’t matter what comes your way - you always shine. This was a great dive trip and it will be one that we will always remember. Among other things, how many people can say they have been diving in a hail storm? Please accept the sincerest wishes from the Sea Divers for a totally terrific holiday season.

Until next time:

Story and Photos © Elaine Jobin

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]