Re: Where and What Kind of Diving?

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Williams on December 20, 2004 at 08:08:41:

In Reply to: Where and What Kind of Diving? posted by Mojo.Mike on December 18, 2004 at 21:12:36:

Mojo wrote "I buy most of my gear from Ebay"

Who knows maybe you can get most of your air fills from ebay as well in the future.

Of course you may alos be able to buy your own compressor on ebay. Do they teach compressor and filter maintenance on ebay???

And while I'm asking questions... Do any of you who bitch about your LDS ever wonder why or if there is another reason besides $$ that your LDS owner/emplyee tries to get new students to buy gear??? Do any of you have any idea what the drop out rate of new divers is.

Have any of you ever compared numbers of student who drop out that don't buy gear to the number that drop out that do buy gear.

It's not always about money, sometimes it's about caring for something you enjoy and seeing it continue.

Don't get me wrong, having seen first hand I think the dive industry is it's own worst enemy. But to some degree the consumer shares respnsibllity for the decline in the dive industry.

You see you just can't demand better equipment from the maufacturers and better service from the LDS and then go to ebay or leasure pro or whaterver because you have to actually pay for what you asked for.

Not to worry though...the dive industry is declining at such a rapid rate that soon those who demand more for less will won't be in diving simply because it will be out of reach to them.

End Rant...

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]