Re: New to Scuba..again

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric S on December 20, 2004 at 22:13:33:

In Reply to: Re: New to Scuba..again posted by Mike on December 19, 2004 at 21:20:09:

If I was going to buy a brand new tank I would buy a new E7 80 or E7 100. These are the new steel tanks that fill to 3440 psi or somewhere there 'bouts. They generally come nitrox ready.
They also have an insert in the valve that allows you to either use yolk or DIN.

I personally use a plate and wings for all my diving because of how the tank is secure on your back and the simplicity. Yes they tilt you forward on the surface but then I didn't buy the rig to hang out on the surface, they work great underwater where scuba gear was designed to work.
There's nothing wrong with a regular jacket or Back inflate if you like them.

I like old fashioned paddle fins, the splits are worthless for me. Try several in a pool or rent some different styles and beach dive. See which ones you like then buy accordingly.

Wetsuit: Good choice. I used a wetsuit up here on the Northcoast for the first several years in 47 - 53 degree water. I did buy a drysuit from a commercial dive supply in Seattle. The only reason I got it was because it was only $900. But sometimes it is overkill so I may get another wetsuit then I'll have both.

Regs: Get the best you can afford.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup




Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]