Re: Mekong Whiskey...only in Thailand

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AADIVER on December 27, 2004 at 09:38:10:

In Reply to: Not dive related - Mekong Whiskey posted by jlyle on December 27, 2004 at 08:51:46:

A friend of mine recently returned from a trip to Southeast Asia. During her travels she came across something she called "Mekong Whiskey" from Thailand, which she reported to have amphetamines in the alcohol. I did a taste test at a party and found it was quite bitter as amphetmaines are, but could not really notice any stimulation from it due to all the other things being consumed. I've spoken with a few other people who have been in Thailand recently and they also knew of this whiskey, and claim that it does indeed contain amphetamine, but I'm skeptical. If you know anything about this Mekong Whiskey, could you please clear things up?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A: Mekong Whiskey is an inexpensive bottled brand of whiskey sold in south-east asia, especially Thailand. It's made from rice and has a lower alcohol content than most Western brands of whiskey, but does not contain any stimulant or amphetamine, at least as it's produced by the manufacturer.

There are rumors that Mekong Whiskey contains amphetamine, and it seems possible that individuals could choose to mix the drink with amphetamine or another stimulant...but we're unable to find any evidence to suggest that store bought Mekong Whiskey contains anything psychoactive except rice-based alcohol.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]