Re: Backplate & wing vs. BCD

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Walt on January 03, 2005 at 09:25:57:

In Reply to: Backplate & wing vs. BCD posted by Mike on January 02, 2005 at 19:26:29:

We bought DiveRite rec wings last Spring to replace a Zeagle (hated it) and Seaquest Balance (liked it, but it is light duty and the weight pockets are too easy to lose).

We're very happy with the DiveRites - they travel well as they are light and they give a secure 'hug' to singles (HP steel 80 to HP steel 120's), thanks to heavy duty double tank straps. You can also customize the DR to fit your needs - add/remove rings, make weight/non-weight integrated, etc. We originaly bought trim weights, our only big mistake as we no longer use them after dramatically reducing our lead last summer. We also improved our air consumption, so only rearely use the 120's which also helped with our backaches! Also, I'm thinking about dropping the weight integrated pockets in favor of a weight belt (helps when removing the tank underwater) - with the DiveRite this is possible. Also if you punture or rip the BC, you can replace it - another advantage of a modular design.

Had originally looked at a Halcyon, but it was basically a DiveRite at a higher price.

If and when I wear out my DiveRite, my next "BC" will be a plastic backplate, horse collar, and weight belt, though, as I'm getting to be more minimalistic these days. Funny how things go full circle sometimes... ;-)

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]