Re: TARGET A POACHER - FOR WHATEVER ITS WORTH (long)

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Max Bottomtime on January 11, 2005 at 17:56:30:

In Reply to: TARGET A POACHER - FOR WHATEVER ITS WORTH (long) posted by Patrick on January 11, 2005 at 17:37:34:

I guess I've been fortunate to have seen the other side of the coin. I found a similar string of illegal lobster traps on the frontside of Catalina once. I notified F&G as well as Catalina Conservancy Divers. They each told me they would stake out the traps. Three days later CCD contacted me and said the poacher had been caught.
On another occasion in late August I had been diving at White Point during one of the two days of the year it's worth diving. The vis was at least forty feet, which is as good as it gets there. Later that day while I was at work in the dive shop a known poacher came in and rented two aluminum 80s. He said he was planning to get some Garibaldis and lobsters at Cabrillo Beach. I called F&G and the warden told me he would be there to witness it. Fifteen minutes later the poacher returned the unused tanks. He said he passed on diving due to the poor vis. I think he probably spotted the F&G truck and left.
I have also destroyed abandoned traps I have found underwater without floats, but it would be better to inform F&G and allow them to do their job.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]