Re: Hose Replacement

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by northcoast diver on January 25, 2005 at 13:16:30:

In Reply to: Hose Replacement posted by Barely Normal on January 24, 2005 at 09:25:29:

I replace things at various intervals.

I inspect gear annually, during the winter in Calif when the weather makes diving less frequent.

If I see a problem with a peice of gear, I replace it right away. For NDL diving, I live too far from the ocean to let a gear mishap ruin a trip. For deco diving, you always want all your gear to be pristine.

My current batch of hoses is almost 5 years old. There have been no problems so far with any of them. I will replace all of them, this fall, when they reach the full 5 year point.

Few things last longer than 5 years and stay in pristine condition. Tanks last forever however, subject to hydro testing and annual vis inspections. Regulators must be rebuilt and serviced every year, although the main housings then last almost forever. Gauges and compasses last about 10 years until they begin to corrode or the numbering (on compasses) wears off.

I would not depend on the dive store to do anything except service your regs and tanks, and order new replacement gear for you. You should make your own decisions.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]