Re: Embarrassment & humiliation

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Doe on January 28, 2005 at 08:27:29:

In Reply to: Embarrassment & humiliation posted by Jon on January 28, 2005 at 07:31:33:

Totally agree. But the blame can be put on many individuals on the boat. I don't know what happened on board, I wasn't there nor ever on that boat, but here's what I always look for as a DM:

1 - The diver = this is an advanced dive and each diver must be ready to take the reposibility to stay with their buddy, carry appropriate safety gear (whistle and other signaling devices), and be worthy of the type of dive. Unless the DM knows the diver, there's no way to tell if they can handle it or not - no matter how many dives or certs they have. It's NEVER wrong to sit a dive out if you're not ready or uncomfortable. What's worst, sitting out a dive or risking your life?
2 - The buddy = even if you were just "forced" to buddy up with someone you don't know on the boat that day, if you get separated and get back to the boat alone, you are still (at least morally) responsible to notify the DM or captain that you don't know where your buddy is.
3 - The DM = to make sure each diver has returned BEFORE moving the boat (roll call only). Some boats count the cylinders - I always call roll and look at their faces. Someone could have reboarded and then went snorkeling - so counting a cylinder would not be appropriate. The DM(s) cannot keep watch over the whole boat at every second.
4 - The captain = ensures what the DM(s) report is correct (kind of a double or triple checking).

Of course, this is just my opinion. As a DM, I feel strongly about this.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]