Re: Mel got himself a tuna

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on February 01, 2005 at 23:04:29:

In Reply to: Mel got himself a tuna posted by seahunt on February 01, 2005 at 21:53:16:

Nice tuna!

I remember talking to my brother one day when he had gone diving in Hawaii. I asked him if he saw any tuna while diving. He said, yeah. I asked him how big they were, he says non-chalantly, oh, 100 to 150 lbs. Ok, so I am fairly worked up now, but not at the lathering stage. So I asked, how often would you see them? He says he would see 1-3 in a group about every ten minutes. Ok, so now I ask, how close were you able to get to them? He says, oh, about 10 feet or so. Damn! speagun range! lol....

I caught a 40 pound yellowfin on light tackle right our of the entrance to the bay at Cabo San Lucas. Took me 40 minutes to land it. I have also been on a fly down, fly back long range trip on the Qualfier 105 when it docked ou tof La Paz for season. Caught 4 yellowfin in the 120-150 pound range and a dozen wahoo on an 8 day trip. I think wahoo are really barracude on steroids with an attitude problem. What a blast, 25 drunk guys all happy they aren't working but are fishing instead. What a spectacle watching 250 lb big eye and yellowfin tuna leaping 5 feet out of the water and crashing into a salami mackerel that the gusts lifted out of the water when on the kite.

Donated most of the caught fish to local Mexican charity, boat captain did up the paperwork and I wrote off the entire cost of the trip AND my custom tackle including a new Tiagra 50LRS with 80 #spectra. Oh ya.....

Interesting spear rig, seems like it would be more bouyant then it would be heavy underwater with all that wood.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]