Posted by Ken Kurtis on February 07, 2005 at 22:28:53:
In Reply to: If you think Dan has a frivolous lawsuit... posted by Max Bottomtime on February 05, 2005 at 10:04:30:
(Well, I certainly created a firestorm with the other comment I made, which I thought would just be a little humorous counterpoint. Let's see how well I can do with THIS one.)
A number of you have flat-out stated that Dan was NOT qualified to do this dive. First of all, let's not reverse-engineer this and say that he was obviously not qualfieid since he ended up drifting away.
I'm simply curious to why you all think that. He's my understanding of the facts:
1. I'm not sure of Dan's actual level of certification but I do know that he had 58 dives under his belt.
2. He had done a trip with Ocean Adventures to Fiji and had no problems.
3. He had been in currents before.
4. He had been on deep dives before.
5. To my knowledge, in all the dives he'd done with Ocean Adventures, he'd never exhibited any major problems.
With that as background, why do many of you feel he wasn't qualified to do the dive? Hindsight is always 20/20 but IMHO (and I've taken a . . . few . . . people out ot this same site) Dan's diving resume/experience doesn't raise any red flags for this particular site.
Just curious as to the thinking process here for those of you who have commented on this.
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, CA
Post a Followup