Things I found odd

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on February 12, 2005 at 16:11:14:

In Reply to: Reader's Digest article: questions. posted by AADIVER on February 12, 2005 at 15:34:36:

"Carlock was in the first group of divers to ventrue into the water at the rig" If he only did a 10 minute dive - the boat would have still been there for at least an hour after he had surfaced.

"Once they got into position, Carlock and the others were told to stay within the rig's structure duing thier dive". I guess that means he heard the dive briefing.

"That way, they could use its columns to keep from being swept along by the current." Sometimes the rigs generate their own current and ducking behind the colums keeps you in one place. If he heard any of this in the dive briefing, and a current was bothering him, why didn't he duck behind a column? It is certainly what I do sometimes. One time I surfaced with a buddy and there was a current and we "drifted" a little waiting for pick up, but the only reason we "drifted" was because we knew the boat had its eye on us. We still got nervous drifting though and headed back towards the rigs so that if anything unforseen happened to the boat we could at least stay in reach of the rigs. I never assume that a boat will run, or continue to run, a boat that runs is icing on the cake.

"The rig was in the wrong place" That is a wierd way to think about it.

Those are things that I noticed.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]