Re: Another problem with computers

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Brian Donaghy on February 16, 2005 at 18:37:49:

In Reply to: Re: Another problem with computers posted by Chris on February 16, 2005 at 16:42:16:

Hi Chris,

I hope you and the other Sea Divers are doing well. I've been very jealous of the photos by Elaine and others. Water temp here at the moment is 40-48F and the vis is 'interesting'.

With regards depth averaging, I think you need to take your math whiz hat off. Just pay attention to your depth gauge across the working portion of your dive and guess at an average then round down for whatever level of conservatism/comfort you desire. For feedback you could look at your computer downloads and check the actual average against your estimation. It really isn't very challenging. I take quite a conservative approach and almost always come up with a very comparable NDL to most computer divers I may be diving with. Once past their NDL 99% of dive computers produce absurd values.

As for northcoast diver's claims about NDLs/80s etc. Mary has a working SAC of 0.18-0.25 cft/min on a regular ocean dive. So she can rack up quite a bit of deco on an 80 at 100ft if she chose to dive EAN35 (which she wouldn't). Can you not mark those who hand out dangerous advice with a little warning triangle or something?

Best Regards,
Brian

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]