diver.net

Thoughts on the travel advisories

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]
Posted by Ken Kurtis on June 27, 2005 at 13:32:28:

In Reply to: this came out while you were gone posted by North Coast Diver on June 27, 2005 at 10:29:04:

Even time we've done an Indonesia trip, there have been State Department-issued travel advisories. A week before we left on this one, they closed down the US Missions (embassies and consulates) for a week due to "credible information" (which you mayeb realize never apparently panned out - or the terrorists were scared away or whatever).

I don't want to leave the impression that you shouldn't be caustious but by the same token, I think you have to really understand the areas where you're going. For Indonesia specifically, it's about 3000 miles long and dangers in Jakarta or Bali don't necessarily reflect the conditions in Manado, since they're at opposite ends of the country.

I remember one year doing one of these trips and there was a Travel Advisory out so I went to the State Department website to look at all of their Advisories and their basic message was: "It's a dangerous world - don't leave the USA." I think they even had a Travel Advisory out for Mexico.

So some level of common sense has to come in and there must come a point as well when you wonder what's a legitimate concern and what's someone crying wolf?

Ken Kurtis
NAUI Instr. #5936
Co-owner, Reef Seekers Dive Co.
Beverly Hills, CA

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full