diver.net

35 people a year are murdered on LA freeways

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]
Posted by dawhale on June 27, 2005 at 17:40:38:

In Reply to: just not sure if he had read it posted by North Coast Diver on June 27, 2005 at 11:15:47:

It is true that violence in the world gets worse every day.
Maybe some of these popular places you travel to you consider as safe.
Honduras: San Pedro Sula, a city bus was machine gunned. Many locals killed.
Cozumel: the ferry between Cozumel & Cancun was stopped and all on board were robbed.
Aruba: you know the story.
The list goes on and on. Each person has to decide what risk they are comfortable with. Some people would never jump out of an airplane with a parachute. To others it is an easy exercise. 35 people a year are murdered on LA freeways. How many of you have stopped driving the freeways? Would you stroll down any street in South Central LA at 2:00AM? Is their any risk in Scuba? Sorry to have read in the last day or two one of the most experienced tech divers in San Diego has perished in the Yukon. Was it last year a Great White bit the head off an Ab diver up north. Yah I do that type diving too. Are any of use so good we can say it can never happen to us? I have weighed the risk, do my best to track the hot spots in the world and will be making my fourth trip to Indonesia next year. I have been to Borneo, Sipadan Island, Sangalaki Island, Indonesia, Manado, KBR Resort, Manado Santika Resort and a 16 day live aboard last year from Alor to Komodo. I have never dived the same place twice but I will return next year to dive Komodo again. Included in this trip will be a 10 day live aboard to the west end of Papua New Guinea, which is also part of Indonesia called Raja Ampat. The Aggressor fleet just started a live-aboard out of KBR resort in North Sulawesi. Guess they finally figured out what Ken and I have known for years. US citizens are welcome in this part of Indonesia. I do not feel I have a death wish. I do love to dive and Indonesian diving has proven to be some of the best I have personally experienced. I have never made a trip to this part of the world that the locals have not asked us to tell our friends they are welcome in Indonesia. I have no desire to engage in a flame war but this is a major area of interest for me as I make plans for next year. dawhale

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to