diver.net

KNBC article is misleading

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]
Posted by Steve Haynes on June 29, 2005 at 09:21:03:

In Reply to: Search Crews Recover Body Of Missing Diver posted by on June 28, 2005 at 16:30:58:

For the record, the quotation comes from an interview with the San Diego Union-Tribune on Sunday evening. At the time, there was no generally available information suggesting that divers had deliberately pried open the doors to the boiler room. These doors had been intentionally welded shut before the Yukon was sunk to keep divers out of that area. I went in that compartment while the boat was still being prepped for sinking. As the saying goes, there wasn't enough room in it to swing a cat.

NBC San Diego used the quotation from Monday morning's article in the Union-Tribune (possibly as repeated on the AP wire)and, without contacting me at all, placed it next to Tuesday afternoon's paragraph reporting where the body was found. The resulting impression is false and misleading. I do not believe that attempting to penetrate the boiler room would be a trivial task, even for a highly-trained technical diver.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to