diver.net

Re: Dive light with rechargeable batteries

Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]
Posted by MikeT on June 30, 2005 at 15:55:12:

In Reply to: Dive light with rechargeable batteries posted by HoloD on June 30, 2005 at 15:33:47:

From reviewing different posts on the net, it should work fine. Some posts I found are below. Some people actually replaced the bulb with UK's rechargable versions' bulb. But some posts don't mention that. I am thinking of trying it soon as I use my UK100 light for video and $8-12 per boat trip is getting expensive. I am also thinking of getting a second UK100 too. The chargers seem to only hold 4 batteries though.

Posts I found below...

"Just to let people know - I purchased some Energizer ACCU NiMH
batteries for my UK Light Cannon 100 and they work fine. After the second recharge cycle, I got about 1hr 40min before the bulb started to flicker. I should see an increase in capacity with more charges to the batteries. Additionally, I noticed that www.thomas-distributing.com has NiMH batteries with even higher
capacity than the Energizer ACCU brand (3800maH vs. 2200maH).
Anyways, the Energizer NiMH were available at Home Depot for the
cheapest price I've seen anywhere - $7.80 for two "C" cells (x4) and $16.00 for the charger. "

"I use 3800mAH NiMH batteries with mine and it goes for 4 hours on a charge. Only problem was one battery that died on the second dive due to a NiMH specific problem (vented hydrogen). Everything's worked fine since then. "

"2) Can I use NiMH batteries in these lights rather than buying the much more expensive rechargeable versions which only come with NiCad's.

Yes, you can. I currently own a UK Light Cannon 100 HID in which I use 8 "C" cell NiMH batteries. The rated burn time for alkalines is 3-4 hrs. I get around 1hr 45min burn time on the NiMH cells. The cost was about $50 for the batteries and recharger at Home Depot."

- MikeT

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.