diver.net

Re: I disliked BP, too

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]
Posted by Elucubrationist on July 06, 2005 at 09:15:01:

In Reply to: I disliked BP, too posted by Roger on July 06, 2005 at 07:48:42:

I love my Dive Rite steel BP. I use it with my Halcyon 27 pound wings and weight system. I dive with one of my 3 aluminum or 2 steel tanks. I do not dive with twin tanks.
I am 6 ft 2 weighing 260 lbs. I add 18 pounds with the BP in a wet suit. So that means I am diving with about 24 lbs in total. I don't have any strap or back padding. The difference in overall weighting is amazing
I usually dive dry this time of year but switch to a wet suit during lobster season for a few months. When I dive dry I add another 4 to 5 pounds.
I don't have the problems with the straps at all unless they are too tight as they were when I first got it. If you have your straps adjusted correctly you can switch very easily between using a dry suit and wet suit without needing to re adjust and be perfectably comfortable diving.
I can understand why it can be uncomfortable walking with a loaded BP style BC. When shopping for one the feeling I had out of the water was not a factor in my decision. For me the BC had to perform in the water and not out. That's what the BC is designed for.
The only pockets I have are on my suits. I don't add anything to the webbing except for a very small knife and a single d ring for snapping my light and game bag to. I got rid of the extra rings it came with.
I hunt lobster and fish. I also shoot video. The extra control I find with a BP and wing is far superior when comparing to the Zeagle Ranger, Dive Rite Transpac 1, Tusa Black Diamond, AT Pack, and Ocean Master Pro BC es I have owned in order over the years. I think the Zeagle and the Ocean Master were the biggest waste of my time, energy, and money.
I'm not advocating DIR but I appreciate what it's all about. I only own 1 thing made my Halcyon. It has peformed great in the three years I have owned and used it. So don't think I have swallowed cool aide here. Someday I might take their class but right now I'm spending too much time diving and having fun to worry about it.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to