diver.net

Diving

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]
Posted by JRM on July 06, 2005 at 17:13:01:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Pismo Beach posted by Max Bottomtime on July 01, 2005 at 22:28:46:

If you want flatties (or are just a big sand fan in general), Avila is good. Morro Rock is great if you don't mind a mask ripping current. The best trick I've seen there is using a static line anchored in the rocks and hand over handing down and back to avoid getting swept away. Best diving there is at Montana de Oro park, in the cove (you can't miss it) whose name escapes me at the moment. Generally good stuff, although a bit surge-y. Best vis in the area, though. If you stay to the left looking out you can hit the wall with good relief. Swim out a bit before heading down. When you think you've swam a long way, go a bit further.

Never dove shell beach. Wouldn't think there'd be much there.

Closer to me here in SB, you hit the Gaviota, trussels, refugio stretch. Refugio is killer for access, but a bit of a swim past the sand. Go right around the point if you have a kayak or Chris-like bug diving legs. Tajiguas is really popular amongst the locals, with just about everyone I know having a differing definition of where it actually is. Pretty much any turnout on S 101 between Refugio and Gaviota qualifies. Cross the tracks and hump down the cliff.

Arroyo Burro sucks. I ended up in the hospital from dirty water from the slough there (note to self... wait at least a week after it rains before diving) Christmas before last.

Mesa Lane is way killer, if you don't mind 240 steps down and 240 back up. This is a great place for hot Nitrox mixes (a marthon swim and shovel might get you down to 50'). Bonus: suck on the reg on the way back up there stairs... extra Os! There's a club that dives there every Wednesday night at 5:pm (or maybe only during bug season, can't remember).

Mohawk reef is accessed by a stairway known as "Thousand Steps." Enough said there.

Shoreline park is also killer, and only 83 steps down to the water. Walk a bit to the right to catch the tail of the nothern reef. I was down on that beach this morning and the big sets were less than knee high.

I can be in Pismo in around an hour and a half. Figure an hour for you to hit the Gaviota-Refugio strip from there. Just beware of the sea lions. We had a lifeguard get tore up by one a few days ago, needed something like 30 stitches.

JRM

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.