diver.net

Product Review: Pelican Recoil 2010 flashlight

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]
Posted by Walt on July 10, 2005 at 10:58:18:

I was skeptical that a single LED in a light the size of a typical flashlight would create sufficient luminescence on a dive. What I found was a light that is easy to hold, sufficiently bright, and extremely efficient.

The one LED is mounted ‘backward’, facing the reflector; the result is a concentrated beam of light and battery life approaching 50 hours. This is from just 3 C cells making it easy to carry and compact. A word of caution – do not point it at your dive buddy, as its beam is much more concentrated than a traditional dive light.

The light is slightly negatively buoyant and built Pelican tough. Just before my third dive with it, I accidentally dropped it on the deck as I was preparing for entry. It bounced and rolled into the water. I immediately thought, “there goes $50”. Downward it went, turning itself on in about 3 feet of water, continuing to the 40 foot bottom. I made my entry, recovered it, completed screwing on the bezel and continued my dive without incident. Not a droplet of water reached the batteries.

As for attachment points, the light comes with a lanyard, stainless steel ring (good for a carabineer), and a clip large enough for 2” webbing or going over a D ring. Pretty much any attachment point plus its easy to stow in a pocket.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to