Catalina Island Trip report and photos

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]
Posted by scott on July 11, 2005 at 21:56:52:

Quick view of selected photos:
forums.scubapost.net/showthread.php?p=4295#post4295
complete set of photos:
www.scubapost.net/gallery/album23
(feel free to leave comments)

29 Divers braved the high seas on the "Mr. C" out of san pedro to go to catalina...Nick, Randy, Josh, and myself boarded at 6:30AM in san pedro, and Nay was also on the boat. It was a slow and smooth 2 1/2 hour ride (very slow boat) to the island.

Dive #1: West of nip rock(large isolated pinnacles in water)
vis, depth, time: 15-25ft, 60ft, 62min
buddy: josh
Dive #2: west of parson's landing (thick kelp on a steep slope, ultra-clear vis in shallows)
vis, depth, time: 18-35ft, 55ft, 65min
buddy: josh and randy
Dive #3: africa (thick kelp, great vis, lots of morays, similar to cas. point)
vis, depth, time: 25-40ft, 45ft, 66min
buddy: nick and randy
All the dives were good, with lots of kelp, boulders, and pinnacles. I forgot my compact flash card, luckily Nay had a spare 64meg card she loaned me. thanks Nay! sightings include a large 30inch red rockfish, large bat ray we approached within inches, 10 morays (1 small juvie), 2 free-swimming octopus, 4 chromodoris nudibranchs, spanish shawl, hermissendas, navanax, flatworms, a few giant kelpfish, lots of juvie treefish, a few scorpionfish, lots of rock wrasse, juvie garibaldi, a few zooanthid anemones, zebra gobies, sheep crab, horn shark, various rockfish, a huge deep red crab with a giant claw (unidentified so far), sole, schools of topsmelt, lots of schools of the usual fish, dozens of garibaldi nests, tons of huge lobsters, lots of red-rock shrimp. entered an awesome cave on the 2nd dive for a minute.
One of the highlights was all 3 of us stumbling on the giant bat ray on the 3rd dive, it was not in the sand, but in shallow kelpy area. we almost fell on it, and it didn't move for a minute. I got a nice pic of it, then my battery died. Poor thing had a fishing hook stuck in its mouth, sad.
water temp was in the low 60's above the thermocline, mid 50's below. thermocline was between 20-40ft. saw lots of incredible fish and scenery between 10-25ft today. 3rd dive was the best.
thanks everyone for the great time! thanks ecodivers for putting together a great trip. met lots of cool people on the boat. josh, sorry you got seasick and had to sit out the last dive, glad you came down from ventura county. lets all do it again soon!
The crew of the Mr. C were really nice, and it was pleasure diving with Adam, brooke & samantha from eco-divers. Andrew, great meeting you and thanks for DM-ing the boat.
photos are here:
www.scubapost.net/gallery/album23www.scubapost.net/gallery/album23www.scubapost.net/gallery/album23

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to