diver.net

La Bufadora Dive Trip Report

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]
Posted by Sean on July 11, 2005 at 23:47:16:

I went down to La Bufadora with the Dive Animals Scuba Club in San Diego. We stayed at Dale's Bunkhouse and did 4 dives over the weekend. Here are my reports:

Dive #1
Date: 07/09/2005
Time: 10:30am
Site: Eagle Reef, La Bufadora
Bottom Time: 40:00
Max Depth: 90 feet
Temp at Depth: 50 degrees
Temp at Surface 57 degrees
Visibility: 40-50 feet

We headed north from the boat launch in search of clear water for diving. We went to Eagle Reef which is a non-poopy rock sticking out 25 feet. Roy, Max and I dropped into the hazy water, going down to the bottom of the pinnacle. The vis opened up and we explored all the granite boulders and overhangs. I saw several interesting critteres including a crab who was inside a hole in the top of an overhang (the hole was facing the bottom). Lots of rockfish, tons of nudis, massive amounts of sponges. The walls were overwhelming. You had to focus on small sections to take in the details. I think this was the best dive of the whole weekend. My camera fogged up for the 1st 10 minutes of the dive, but I got a few shots. We saw a friend egg jelly and a nice bat ray swimming past us on our stop.

Dive #2
Date: 07/09/2005
Site Name: Roca Chica
Time: 12:38pm
Bottom Time: 51:00 mins
Max Depth: 111 feet
Visibility: 40-50 feet
Temp at depth: 50 degrees
Temp on Surface: 59 degrees

This site is just south of Rocka Blanca. We dropped in and decended to the nice vis below 50 feet. We explored some swim throughs, and great walls all around this pinnacle. Lots of massive granite boulders on top of one another. Same amount of life as the previous dive. I stayed down a little to long and had a 15 minute safety stop. I was cold doing the deco, but it was worth it!

Dive#3
Date: 07/10/2005
Site Name: Roca Blanca
Time: 10:35am
Max Depth: 128 feet
Temp at Depth: 52 degrees
Temp on Surface: 63 degrees
Bottom TIme: 34:40
Visibilty: 40-50 feet

We went south initially but turned around after we discovered the whole bay was filled with red tide. We headed back and dove on the White Rock Pinnacle which I have dove before. We all geared up and dropped down on the South side of the pinnacle and swam to the west end. We were looking for Terry's Light Cannon, but no luck. Sorry Terry. The vis was quite nice at depth. We saw the same critters and life on the pinnacle. I took a lot of pictures and enjoyed the dive! The vis was pretty bad on the surface so the dive was dark. Roy shot a bag and we did our 3 minute stop, surfacing near the boat.

Dive #4
Date: 07/10/2005
Site Name: Roca Chica
Time: 12:29 pm
Bottom Time: 36:20
Max Depth: 92 feet
Temp at Depth: 50 degrees
Temp at Surface: 63 degrees
Visibility: 50 feet +

Max and I headed down the pinnacle's side through the bad vis to find it open up to 50 feet+. We explored some caves and overhangs while observing the life all around us. We saw some schools of small fish, lots of nudis, tons of sea stars, sun stars, sponges and more. You'll have to check out my pictures to see what I saw. I have 2 videos I will add in later. We all really enjoyed the diving and the company of the Dive Animals. Great fun!!

pics: http://www.scubapost.net/gallery/labufadora07102005

video here: http://sean.scubapost.net/video2.html

Sean

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the