diver.net

Trip report and photos: 4th of July on the Peace to Anacapa Island

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]
Posted by Elaine on July 15, 2005 at 10:06:31:

Fourth of July, 2005

Trip on the Peace to Anacapa Island

Story and Photos © Elaine Jobin, may not be reproduced in part or whole without advanced written permission

I was on the Peace on July 3, 2005 for the trip to Anacapa Island. I was also on the Peace on July 4, 2005 for the trip to Anacapa Island. When the boat got back to the dock on Sunday, myself and several others, remained for another calm night of sleep. Many new faces arrived over the course of the evening. . It looked like it might be an unusual group on the next days trip.

We made the usual 7am departure and arrived at Anacapa a short time later.

Everyone looked more normal in the morning.

We started at the west end and worked our way around the island on our successive dives. I used macro set ups on the morning dives. Anacapa is such a treasure trove of small critters.

Snail Laying Eggs, Anacapa Island, Underwater Photography, by Elaine Jobin Hedgehog Hydroid, Hydractinia milleri, Anacapa Island, Underwater Photography, by Elaine Jobin Sea Cucumber, Anacapa Island, Underwater Photography, by Elaine Jobin Spiny Brittle Star, Ophiothrix spiculata, Anacapa Island, Underwater Photography, by Elaine Jobin Spiny Brittle Star, Ophiothrix spiculata, Anacapa Island, Underwater Photography, by Elaine Jobin Navanax inermis, Chelidonura inermis, Anacapa Island, Underwater Photography, by Elaine Jobin Sea Anemone, Anacapa Island, Underwater Photography, by Elaine Jobin

I also noticed that there was a population boom going on with Spanish Shawl nudibranchs. There were big ones and there were little ones at every dive site. With just a little shopping around it was easy to get a variety of Spanish shawl photos.

Spanish Shawl, Flabellina iodinea, Anacapa Island, Underwater Photography, by Elaine Jobin Spanish Shawl, Flabellina iodinea, Anacapa Island, Underwater Photography, by Elaine Jobin Spanish Shawl, Flabellina iodinea, Anacapa Island, Underwater Photography, by Elaine Jobin

I tried some wide angle in the afternoon. The water was very green and conditions were much better for macro..

Gorgonian, Anacapa Island, Underwater Photography, by Elaine Jobin Lobster Trap, Anacapa Island, Underwater Photography, by Elaine Jobin Gorgonian, Anacapa Island, Underwater Photography, by Elaine Jobin Kelp Bass, Paralabrax clathratus, Anacapa Island, Underwater Photography, by Elaine Jobin

Chris Grossman worked on his new camera on the surface intervals. He learned that it doesn't matter what kind of batteries he uses, after about 600 photos, he has to put in fresh ones.

The highlight of the day for me was that I had brought along some Kodachrome 25. There is something so very special about this film. These are a few of my Kodachrome photos..

Island Kelpfish, Alloclinus holderi, Anacapa Island, Underwater Photography, by Elaine Jobin Sea Hare, Aplysia californica, Anacapa Island, Underwater Photography, by Elaine Jobin Tritonia festiva, Nudibranch, Anacapa Island, Underwater Photography, by Elaine Jobin Cuthona divae, Precuthona divae, Anacapa Island, Underwater Photography, by Elaine Jobin Octopus, Anacapa Island, Underwater Photography, by Elaine Jobin Cuthona divae, Precuthona divae, Anacapa Island, Underwater Photography, by Elaine Jobin Spiny Sand Star, Astropecten armatus, Astropecten verrilli, Anacapa Island, Underwater Photography, by Elaine Jobin

Special thanks to the crew of the Peace for spending their 4th of July with us.

I hope that everyone had a 4th of July that was as happy and as safe as ours!

Until next time........

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.