diver.net

Marineland, July 17th

Outer Bamnks diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]
Posted by Max Bottomtime on July 17, 2005 at 13:58:21:

Date:July 17
Dive Location:Marineland
Time: 9:17
Bottom Time: 1:08
Max Depth: 49'
Vis: 15'
Wave height: 2-3'
Temp at depth: 58F
Gas mix: Air (21%)
Comments:What a difference a day makes at Marineland. The large surf was gone, mostly. Claudette, Carlos and Jeff joined me for another attempt at beating Mother Nature. Wearing steel doubles, I chose to enter at the cove and make the surface swim to the point. The others decided to brave the surf at the point. After waiting for ten minutes for a lull that never came, they reluctantly trudged back down to the cove. This gave me a chance to nap at the surface and have fisherman point at the "dead diver" floating out there. The surface water was so dirty from the red tide that we were unable to see our fins. I was hoping to myself that it would clear up before we hit the reef. It was only five feet thick. We got below it and it was as if someone turned the light on. Jeff and I paired up and immediately found an octopus, lots of nudis and a Sea Hare the size of a Volkswagon spreading its spaghetti-like eggs. No big fish today, but a cute little baby Treefish more rocks with swimthroughs, overhangs and a blanket of color. We all walked away from the water without any cuts, bruises or broken bones. On the way home I stopped to watch the crowd gathering for the start of the TransPac sailboat race.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to