diver.net

Why the GE was down

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]
Posted by Captain Tim on July 24, 2005 at 21:20:38:

Sunday, July 24, 2005

On Friday, July 8th, the second worst thing that could happen on a boat happened on the Great Escape. We were anchored at “Little Flower” at San Clemente Island when I was awakened at 11:00 pm and told that a compressor had shut down. I got up and went into the engine room only to see water dripping onto one of the control panels. As I got closer the panel exploded and burst into fire.
I immediately put out the fire with a hand held “Halon” fire extinguisher and turned on the fan to clear the smoke.
The fire was caused by a leak in the hold tank and it over flowing onto the control panel. The control panel and hold tan have been replaced.
Then second Captain Kevin helped me rewire the panel so we could safely move the boat. We were blessed to have one more Captain on board, Tyler, and he took care of the passengers and all the topside things that came up. This took about 4 and ½ hours to complete and when the sun came up we left.
We returned home without incident with a full report to the Coast Guard.
This is where I have to give credit where credit is due.
MJG: Mike called and asked what happened and asked what he could do to help. Mike showed up and worked all day helping us cleaning the mess up.
Chris Grossman: Chris helped me find things that the CG wanted me to do and I had no idea what they were talking about.
Terry May: Ditto
Crewmembers’ Steve, Rob, Marky, Kevin, Shannon, and Nic all came down to help out. Ken Curtis of “Reef Seekers” also gave his support.
We probable could have run this weekend but I guess trying too hard I had an accident and spent over 3 hours in the emergency room Thursday. I had just put a large piece of sheet metal in my truck when the camper shell door came down on my right hand. It cut my middle finger quite proficiently. Good enough that I could not finish the boat for the weekend.
We have repaired all of the fired damaged components and have been inspected by the CG, and everything is in compliance.
It is late and I am tired. If I forgot anyone it is not on purpose.
And of course to everyone, including the CG, thank you, thank you very much,

Captain Tim Burke
Great Escape Charters Inc.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the