diver.net

Check for any dive time limits

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]
Posted by Dick J on July 26, 2005 at 17:23:56:

In Reply to: Signed up, thanks (nt) posted by Matt Segal on July 26, 2005 at 15:20:46:

Hey Matt –

We took our first trip aboard the Spectre last weekend, and did run into one little issue that you ought to be mindful of. By doing 60-65 minute dives we ended up getting in deep doo-doo with the DM and other crew members, even though no dive time limits were ever given for any of the dives. We were just using single AL80 tanks, taken down to no less than 500psi (and the Spectre crew never filled our tanks to more than 2700psi). We were usually among the first into the water, but always the last out. As the day went on, I felt increasing hostility from the DM in particular, directed toward me personally – but I couldn’t figure out why. On the last dive of the day just as my dive time hit 50min I heard the UW recall. I thought “wow – I guess the current really picked up and the boat must be dragging anchor – but why don’t I feel it where I am?” I was at 45ft when I heard the recall and thought it was important to make a safe, orderly ascent – including 3min safety stop because it was the 4th dive of the day. When I got back to the boat, the DM – face red, shouted angrily “why didn’t you surface when you heard the recall?” I explained why I took 3.5 minutes to get to the surface. Then I realized that the UW recall was sounded just to get me out of the water – there were no other wet divers on the deck. Others on board told me later that the DM and other crew members, including the Captain, were livid toward the end of my last dive. I just don’t get it – I would have cheerfully complied with any dive time limits, but none were given. We arrived back in Ventura Harbor right on schedule – 5:30pm, so I’m flabbergasted that they would sound the UW recall just so they could get headed back home. I felt insulted by the experience, so I’m going to have to wait a while for the sting to wear off before considering going on the Spectre again. The point here is make sure you try to get a clear understanding of any dive time limits.

And get some great photos!

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.