diver.net

About the lens

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]
Posted by diverd on July 26, 2005 at 19:19:34:

In Reply to: Camera and lens posted by Dick J on July 26, 2005 at 18:07:26:

That's an interesting statement about digital camera detail versus film detail. I've seen some of elaine's camera set-ups and I would imaginge her lenses versus your lenses is where most of the image deatil is coming from (being lost?).

I've seen some interesting studies done 5 or more years ago by an eary digital photographer. He took large scale streetscapes from a distance, showing lots of newspaper stands etc., with both a digital camera back and a film camera back. both looked similar at full res, but the more you zoomed in on the newspaper type in the fims shots, the less you could even tell what it was, and it could never be read. The digital was a diferent sotry. As you moved in closer you could make out individual words and letters. It was a dramatic difference.

Please don't call me a digital photo guy. I spent at least 7 years as a camera darkroom operator before going all digital as a means of remaining employable. I enjoy working with film and could build myself a wonderfull darkroom here at home and have a great time, but I know from first-hand experience how devasting silver, film processing, film, mylar and acetate can be to the environment, and how dificult silver-mining processed waste chemstry and disposal is.

One good reason to go digital. Great shots by the way. Nice color.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to