diver.net

Re: catch 22...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]
Posted by Roger on July 28, 2005 at 07:52:55:

In Reply to: catch 22... posted by Brad on July 27, 2005 at 21:09:50:

yeah, but he did still get near-shore bottom trawling banned, so that's something good that sportfishermen did. How many divers are even aware of it? I've seen fishermen wearing t-shirts that say "stop bottom trawling." Seen any divers wearing those? And how many divers are aware that they want to start experimental longlining in our area and are trying to stop that?

I'm not disagreeing with you, Brad, and I probably never will, I really respect your opinions. And I freely admit that sportfishermen litter, harm fish, etc. You're welcome to dislike sportfishermen (and me, I do it). The only thing I don't like is when people are completely unaware of how commercial fishing works and think that sportfishing is the greatest evil on the ocean. In my own opinion, it's not nearly the evil that commercial fishing is, and in fact, it could be one of our best friends. If commercial fishing were well-managed (along with good science, good management of closed areas, good management of sportfishing), there would be more fish for us to look at, photograph, and even spear, and more for the sportfishermen to catch, too.

FWIW, I don't think sportfishermen like me, either, because I can see the need for closed areas.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to