diver.net

Re: The regs don't say "a reasonable distance"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]
Posted by Sonke on July 28, 2005 at 08:23:16:

In Reply to: The regs don't say "a reasonable distance" posted by Chuck Tribolet on July 18, 2005 at 23:17:41:

This issue has bugged me for many years. I have had more close calls than I like to remember. I remember one time off Catalina I had to send up my safety sausage first for a few minutes so the boats would slow down. Another time while freediving I noticed a boat heading towards me, so as is custom among many freedivers, we start waving our speargun in the air as a signal. Unfortunately, this time it caused this character to adjust his heading for a direct intercept. At first I thought, oh gee, he thinks I need help and has come over to assist, perhaps with a fermented beverage. Turns out I was way too generous because he accelerated and ran right over the top of me. Luckily, I noticed this less than helpful change in intent and dove down in time to avoid getting clobbered.

I do now in fact, Chuck, tow a diver down torpedo on a float line and you can get it through kelp just fine. Problem is that it does not work for scuba and many boats still think your float is a racing bouy.

Something needs to be done, just not clear yet what. I do think pressure needs to be put on the boating industry to educate boaters about their responsibilities.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to