Inflatable boat registration in CA

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]
Posted by Fahrettin on July 30, 2005 at 06:09:41:

Hi All,

Recenetly I bought a small Seahawk 400 inflatable boat and enjoyed it very much with the oars. But after a while, it becomes tiring, so I decided to buy a small Sevylor electrical motor to enjoy it better. Today I received the motor and the manual says I may need to register the boat. I checked California DMV web site and it says

"Generally, every sail-powered vessel over eight feet in length and every motor-driven vessel (regardless of length) that is not documented by the U.S. Coast Guard which is used or on the waters of this state are subject to registration by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The vessel must be located in California." (From: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/boatsinfo/boatreg.htm)

I live in Orange County and normally I use my boat in harbors such as Newport Beach, Seal Beach or Dana Point. I do not think that it is safe to go off shore so I try to stay in the harbor.

My question is do I really have to register the small inflatable boat? I do not want to take the burden of going to the DMV office, wait in line for hours and pay the fee every year if I do not have to. Anybody has any ideas?

Thanks a lot,

Follow Ups:

Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to
help prevent spam bots
from flooding this BBS.
Text Key: