diver.net

Dry suit advice needed

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]
Posted by Dick J on August 01, 2005 at 07:56:05:

I'm booked on a multi-day northern/outer Channel Islands trip this coming December, and with my memory still fresh from a similar trip last June (I totally froze my arse in a wetsuit) I think it's time to get set up with a dry suit. I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here by asking for some advice/opinions on makes and styles, but I've got to start somewhere in the evaluation and decision process.

Based on my own observations on local dive boats, DUI suits would probably win the popularity contest. But they also seem to be among the most expensive. Logic tells me that there have to be dry suit makers with products of at least equal performance, quality, durability, customer service at a lesser cost - I mean we're in a capitalist economy, right? But don't get me wrong - I'd consider buying a DUI suit if it meets my expectations for price and performance.

I'm just hoping to get some general ideas on where to look, and why. And in addition to specific dry suit makers, what about specific styles of suits and materials? I'm inclined to go with sturdiness/durability as opposed to light weight - I don't move around a whole lot while underwater, just tote a bulky camera from spot to spot.

Any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to