diver.net

A few pics from the wreck of the Avalon this w/e

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]
Posted by jlyle on August 01, 2005 at 08:43:25:

Saturday, my boat buddies went diving without me! That sounds like the starting sentence for a novel!

Instead, we attended a "quiceniera" celebration for the granddaughter of close friends, in the San Fernando Valley! It was 95 degrees, the freeways were clogged, and I would have much preferred to be in the water.

Sunday was thankfully free of family obligations! The Webbs, RogerC, and I met at the boat at 7:30 am. There was a full-flag of wind out of the West with wind chop and mixed swells from out of the West and South. We opted to try for the wreck of the Avalon.

The Avalon is the periodic home for large numbers and varieties of nudibranchs - I say periodic because they seem to come and go. For weeks, there are nudis everywhere, and then, nothing. I was the first to drop and I went down the anchor line. The thermocline hit like a brick wall at only ten feet down, dropping from sixty degrees on the surface to fifty degrees on the bottom. But, with the cold water came great visibility - about thirty feet or more, great for these waters.

Here are a few pictures from our two dives on the wreck.

(Oly C-5050/dual Ikelite strobes)

Spanish shawl (flabellina iodinea) and lightbulb tunicates (Clavelina huntsmani)

Blood star (Henricia leviuscula)

Scaleside piddock clams (Parapholis californica). These clams bore into the rock, exposing only the united siphons.

Ronquil (Ronquilius sp)

"Hairy" hermit crab (Pauristes ulreyi)

An exciting find, this is a undescribed Dendrodorid that is currently named Dendrodoris sp..

Doripsilla albobunctata

Acanthodoris hudsoni. I love the long "rabbit ear" rhinophores.

Next week- Cozumel and warm water!

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.