diver.net

The Viz is Back! - and Personal Critter Firsts

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dick J on August 21, 2005 at 07:12:51:

I went to Catalina Island yesterday (Sat. Aug. 20th) aboard the Sea Bass and was absolutely delighted by the visibility: consistently 60ft+ I haven't seen that kind of visibility since last January. I hope that's indicative of what's happening in other areas along the So.Cal. coastline.

We did all three dives at the Red Crane site on the frontside. Staying parked all day at a single site was OK, as all on board were students, including OW, "A"OW, and myself who finished up a combo nitrox and dry suit certification.

I was also able to get a fleeting glimpse of a Scythe Butterflyfish before it disappeared into a hole in the bouldery slope. And as my instructor and I were cruising back to the boat across a sandy area, a 4ft Black Sea Bass came straight at us from the opposite direction. Unfortunately, this was not one of those encounters where the fish stops to check out the divers; it just kept going, streaming a long entourage of baitfish behind it. What a magnificant sight!

Sorry I don't have any photos for this report - I didn't want to over-task myself by toting a camera as well.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to