diver.net

Open Letter of Thanks to Chris Grossman and Howard Markovitch

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Walt on August 22, 2005 at 10:01:11:

Used my plastic hard pack with new 18# OxyCheq back inflated wing this past weekend. 12# lead on my belt and 80 ft3 HP steel tank. Conclusion: will never use another BC again. Its old school, but suited me perfectly. Howard gave me the hard pack and Chris suggested the OxyCheq as an alternative to a horse collar – many thanks!

This set-up is as close to diving with just a tank on your back as you can get. It’s incredibly light especially important for those of us with aging backs and is super easy to rinse at the end of the day’s dive. It redefines streamlined diving, was able to do somersaults with ease and enjoyed nearly effortless fining.

Chris G suggested the 18# OxyCheq and receives full credit for pioneering this. I just added just a puff of air when I hit 45’, so it is more than adequate and fully inflated it just once to see how it floated at the surface (excellent buoyancy, but you need to float on your back to get full lift benefit). The OxyCheq also compresses when not in use so basically becomes something like a sheet of plastic behind your back – no drag. Perfectly neutral…

I customized the webbing set-up, adding D-rings just where I wanted them and omitted a shoulder web buckle, as this particular hard pack style is easy to get in and out of.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to