diver.net

Trip Report - Getting my tanks visually inspected at Sport Chalet

dive-instructors.com, the first place to look for a dive instructor

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on August 23, 2005 at 22:30:37:

I took three thanks into Sport Chalet for their VIPs. Everything was going smoothly until I got a phone call telling me that they couldn't do anything to two of my scuba tanks. The problem, they had reminants of old nitrox fill stickers on them (from membrane fills on the dive boats). I was told they only do "air inspections", the store has nothing to do with nitrox, and that if I was using nitrox in my tanks I needed to have nitrox lables on the tanks.

I explained to them that a) there was only air in the tanks at this point b) the reminants of the stickers were old and c)nitrox tanks are not required for membrane fills. They told me to come pick up my tanks. If I removed the reminants of the stickers (hard to get off) - then they could fill my tanks. I said something to the effect of "this is unbelievable and hung up".

I received a message today that if I call them and give them my drivers license number they will remove the reminants of the labels and VIP the tanks for me.

Sport Chalet is the only semi convient dive store near where I live. Other than short fills (which don't bother me because I'm easy on air) I have never had anything about them make me unhappy. They provide basic stuff at mostly reasonable prices. When I want above and beyond I go elsewhere.

I thought I'd post this as a heads up to be sure any old stuff is off your tanks if you ever take them to Sport Chalet - the headache isn't worth it.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to