diver.net

Re: Re: Re: Re: You might like a trip with Reefseekers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jan Larson on August 27, 2005 at 02:50:04:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: You might like a trip with Reefseekers posted by Marc on August 23, 2005 at 12:45:23:

Marc,

I understand your point, however, the trip was advertised as Farnsworth/ Catalina Backside making it open to all levels of divers. Only 4 divers did not make the dive at Farnsworth. The rest of the divers did make the dive, inexperienced or not and they did just fine.

As it was, when we arrived at Farnsworth, there were already 6 boats anchored. Normally, with that many boats in the area, we don't usually anchor for safety reasons. Captain Tim was ready to turn around and head to the backside. It was the Lead DM who convinced Captain Tim to 'attempt' to anchor so that we could at least do one dive. You should be THANKFUL for that.

The second dive, Whale Rock was a beautiful site with really nice reefs and kelp forests with lots of interesting marine life. I do not compare it to a beach dive off Catalina. I do agree with you that the third spot was a little abrupt, and the crew had little time to fill the tanks between dives. I am still not sure what happened there. I was on another boat recently where the crew would immediately fill your tank when you ended your dive. It was smooth, and everyone was good to go for their subsequent dives.

I'm glad that you are voicing your concerns/ opinions, for it helps all LDS, boats, and DM's to better themselves, to offer the best possible service.

It sounds like you are an experienced diver, and I'm sure you have had similar experiences with other LDS. We all have. Again, you have to know that in order to fill boats, all levels of divers are welcome and are encouraged to dive within their limits; secondly, dive destinations can be changed without notice due to weather conditions, currents, or at the Captain's discretion.

Case in point, I have been on a boat 3 times that was supposed to go to San Nicholas Island, but got re-routed due to weather. Now, I watch the swell models, and book accordingly.

Good point on your suggestion of exploring options. I always encourage people/ divers to ask questions.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to