diver.net

Trip Report and Photos: Second Stage to Catalina, 09/03/05

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on September 11, 2005 at 19:13:36:

Trip Report and Photos

Second Stage to Catalina Island

September 3, 2005

Story and Photos Elaine Jobin and may not be reproduced in part or whole without advanced written permission

On Saturday, the first day of my three day, Labor Day, dive fest I went on the Second Stage to Catalina Island. As is usual, the first thing I had to check out when I arrived at Ports O' Call were the Tall Ships docked near the parking lot.

Tall Ship at San Pedro, Photo by Elaine Jobin Tall Ship at San Pedro, Photo by Elaine Jobin

Next, I got all my stuff tucked away on the boat.

Second Stage Dive Boat, Photo by Elaine Jobin Second Stage Dive Boat, Photo by Elaine Jobin

As we departed I noticed some of the other people getting away for the weekend on the Catalina Express and a bait boat gearing up for the weekend sport fishing community.

Catalina Express leaving San Pedro, Photo by Elaine Jobin Bill's bait boat, San Pedro, Photo by Elaine Jobin

Of special note, on board the Second Stage we had Andy Sallmon

Andy Sallmon, Photo by Elaine Jobin

And we also had , Nadja Brandt, the author of the recent story that appeared in Bloomberg.com on diving the Oil Rigs. Nadja wrote her story based on her experiences on this trip to the Oil Rigs.

Nadja Brandt, Photo by Elaine Jobin

Our first stop of the day was at Ship Rock. The dive boat Garibaldi was also at Ship Rock. Captain Jeff warned us that the Garibaldi has underwater speakers and that we might hear music from these speakers during our dive. We did in deed hear the music loud and clear and we couldn't decide if we liked diving to music or not. If I could have put in a request it would have been for Led Zeppelin"Whole Lotta Love" instead of the rock station that they were playing.

Dive Boat Garibaldi, Catalina Island, Photo by Elaine Jobin

On toady's dive I didn't see the usual number of fish at Ship Rock. I wonder if the music scares them away. I did a swim all the way around and what I noticed is that the music made it real easy to find their boat - it was very loud and clear when I was on their side of Ship Rock.

Gorgonians at Ship Rock, Photo by Elaine Jobin Diver at Ship Rock, Photo by Elaine Jobin Diver at Ship Rock, Andy Sallmon, Photo by Elaine Jobin Diver at Ship Rock, Photo by Elaine Jobin Gorgonian at Ship Rock, Photo by Elaine Jobin

Our next dive site was Eagle Reef. I took the close up equipment on this dive. I found a great angel shark in the sand but all I could photograph was his eye. An octopus was my other favorite find.

Halibut at Eagle Reef, Photo by Elaine Jobin Angel Shark Eye, Squatina californica, Eagle Reef, Photo by Elaine Jobin Octopus at Eagle Reef, Photo by Elaine Jobin

Topside I noticed that we were sharing Eagle Reef with a sport fishing boat. It is a big ocean and why they have to fish on our favorite dive sites is beyond me.

Victory Sport Fishing Boat at Eagle Reef, Photo by Elaine Jobin

Our last dive was at the Rock Quarry. To my absolute delight I saw the Scythe Butterflyfish swimming out in the open. They were very camera and people shy but I was able to get a couple of photos. I worry about these beautiful and rare fish and worry about them every time I see people fishing near the Rock Quarry.

Scythe Butterflyfish, Chaetodon falcifer, Catalina Island, Photo by Elaine Jobin Scythe Butterflyfish, Chaetodon falcifer, Catalina Island, Photo by Elaine Jobin Fish School at the Rock Quarry, Photo by Elaine Jobin Fish School at the Rock Quarry, Photo by Elaine Jobin

Right in line with worrying about fishing, right outside of the Rock Quarry cove I saw another sport fishing boat. When they chum so close to the marine preserve that is also in the area, is it any wonder people say marine preserves don't work.

Sea Angler sportfishing boat at Catalina Island, Photo by Elaine Jobin

After three great dives and being treated like kings and queens for a day on captain Jeff's boat, we returned to San Pedro.

Water Tower at San Pedro, Photo by Elaine JobinHelicopter Rides at Sand Pedro, Photo by Elaine Jobin

Until next time.........

Sea Lion at San Pedro, Photo by Elaine Jobin

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to