diver.net

Re: it is too easy for the consumers to just say 'we need to get along...'

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Deb Karimoto on September 16, 2005 at 15:47:53:

In Reply to: it is too easy for the consumers to just say 'we need to get along...' posted by Brad on September 16, 2005 at 15:13:50:

Let's be clear. I am NOT a spearfisher. I am a recreational diver and underwater photographer who has taken my camera into the water on every single dive with only one exception in the last year and a half.

I am a consumer if you're talking about the food chain. I am not a vegetarian but I could be with some lifestyle changes (as opposed to some who claim they COULD NEVER be a vegetarian.)

All those disclosures said, we are ALL part of the food chain. I eat. You eat. Most humans are omniverous. I don't think it's being selfish to take a fish or other form of seafood. It's feeding oneself or one's family. What's wrong with that? It's self-preservation.

To expect every person of every culture to become vegetarian is not realistic. It would be great, but it is not going to happen!
Sustainable practices are the answer.

So, I don't think it's selfish to be a spearfisher. It's part of the hunter/gatherer that's wired into most of us. And it's eco-friendly.

I repeat: I am not a spearfisher but I'll defend one's right to be one.

Yes, we CAN all get along.

This broken record needs to go and get some things done. TTFN!

Debbie
OC Divebums

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to