diver.net

Confessions of a SCUBA spearfisher

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by BCH DIVR on September 16, 2005 at 21:44:01:

In Reply to: Eaten any angel sharks lately? posted by Walt on September 16, 2005 at 15:23:03:

I spear fish on SCUBA so I must be a terrible person. I love diving and I love fresh fish. I fish both within the letter of the law and within its spirit. That is, I don't take anything if: it isn't legal; and, I know there isn't plenty of it locally.

I shoot mainly bass, kelp or barred. No, there isn't much skill required and I don't consider it sporting. I consider it a good meal. However, I find the idea strange that shooting a fish, who wasn't asked to participate in the game, is "sporting". There is no sport in that, even if done freediving. The fish isn't shooting back.

In response to other threads, I believe the harm done to fish stocks locally by SCUBA must be insignificant (with some exceptions). But I think spearfishing from a commercial dive boat is not a good idea from either a safety or courtesy perspective. Many divers do want only to see or photograph the fish. We SCUBA spearfishers shouldn't diminish the possibilities.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to