diver.net

My Part

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on September 17, 2005 at 18:33:53:

In Reply to: Re: Only you can answer that posted by Will on September 17, 2005 at 06:50:00:

I hope in 25 or even 50 years people will stumple over my trip reports and photos and say "Oh, that is what it looked like then"
"That is what it was like to dive then" Those were the fish that were there then" etc. I wish that there was a collection of photos, taken over the years, from 50 years ago. There would be no questions about the direction the marine environment has taken.

I can't change peoples minds, I can't change their behavior, but, what I can do is doccument what I find out there the best that I can. If I see an ocean without fish, I will photograph that too. That is why I go.

Marine science is a young science. Marine biologists and ocean scientists don't sit at desks underwater. In many cases, they are not even divers. Recreational divers can be their eyes and their data collectors. I've fallen away from participating in the formal studies, now I do my own thing - but that is OK too. Most of the places I go are not areas that are on their formal study grids. And, if you dive, you know that every time you step off of a boat you never know what you are going to find.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to