diver.net

Sunday's dives in the dark.

Scuba Diving on the Great Escape Southern California Live-Aboard Dive Boat

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jlyle on September 19, 2005 at 07:34:18:

Because of the forecast big swells from the SW, we didn't take the boat out until Sunday morning. If you ignored the brown water off of Redondo Beach, it didn't look too bad when we left the harbor. As we rounded the point, on our way towards Pt. Vicente, the water even cleared up. Dropping the anchor at Buchannan's Reef, a mild current was running so Scott put out a granny line. Visibility was really poor on the bottom, never more than ten feet. I didn't find much that I was interested in taking a photograph of and couldn't find the anchor for my ascent to the boat. Doing an open water safety stop in the current meant that I was halfway to Marineland when I hit the surface and had to make a looooong surface swim back to the boat.

We moved back around the point to the wreck of the Avalon in hope of finding better visibility, arriving just ahead of the Island Diver which anchored nearby. The surface was muddy brown and a very strong current was running to the north. I pulled myself down the anchor line to the bottom - it was very, very dark...just like a night dive. I revisted the Garibaldi nest to see how the eggs were coming along and took very few pictures before running out of bottom time. When I got back to the boat, the Island Diver was trying to free their anchor to go get their divers who were slowly drifting on the surface further and further towards King Harbor. They eventually got the anchor up and retrieved everyone.

There are good dives and excellent dives. These were good dives.

Here's my keeper picture of the w/e.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.