diver.net

Ethical vs Legal Spearos


Great Dive Trips at Bargain Prices with the Sea Divers


[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by patrick on September 20, 2005 at 13:36:09:

Take a look at the link below and read through it. I found it enlightning. Interesting attitudes.....

http://www.spearboard.com/showthread.php?t=21702

Yep, there are legal spearos and ethical spearos, and as the above link will show, they are not always the same.

Everything these guys did was absolutely legal but abhorrent to those who care about maritime resources. These (scuba) spearos found a grouper refuge – fish driven there presumably buy one of FLs hurricanes.

Was the call, “Hey, guys, there are a bunch of big grouper, fish we haven’t seen in awhile. “That’s really cool! “ Let’s just take one each and let the others expand the resource!”

No.

It was, “Kool! “Let’s kill ‘em all!”

Was it legal?

You bet.

Was it ethical?

In a pig’s eye…

Now I realize the example I provide is not local, but the attitude certainly isn’t unknown in our local waters.

NOT ALL SPEARFISHERMEN are like this.

It’s the 80% who give the other 20% a bad name…



Follow Ups:


Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Message:
Optional Link URL:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to
help prevent spam bots
from flooding this BBS.
capcha
Text Key:

      


diver.net