diver.net

Sundiver Trip Yes and My Two Cents Worth - An Invitation

AquaFlite Custom Wetsuits, Dive Skins, and Dive Parkas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on September 22, 2005 at 10:18:24:

In Reply to: Re: This is what a Giant Black Sea Bass Looks Like posted by Jon on September 22, 2005 at 09:41:30:

Until they are a little more secure (if that ever happens) I am not giving out the location. I absolutely don't want to be a "fish spotter" for the rotten, lowest form of terrestrial life, GBSB poachers. I will say that it was somewhere off Catalina.

If they would designate some genuine portions of Catalina as a Marine Park, maybe that would at least give Catalina some funding for more the realistic level of F&G protection that is needed there. Right now it is very obvious that Catalina may well be the proverbial "Step Child" of the Channel Islands when it comes to F&G coverage. This is ironic because it gets the most boat traffic and usage.

I would pay an "Island Usage Fee" if it would put some genuine protection out there for Catalina. The Island also has the volunteer resources of the Catalina Conservancy Divers and the Marinaros (volunteer boat owners) that I think could do more in the area of public education and "citizens patrol". We either have to wake up and protect our Island or uninformed nit wits and poachers are going to drain OUR resources out from under our noses.

I invite every dive boat owner to print out this photo of a GBSB and post it on thier boat. I invite the Department of Fish and Game to provide clear written instructions to be displayed with the photo of what actions to take if GBSB poaching is observed. As ordinary divers everyone can do something to help this fish. But.......we need F&G back up available 24/7 and not some useless hotline that can't do anything to help.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to