diver.net

It is a good dive center

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Elaine on September 22, 2005 at 13:33:47:

In Reply to: Olympus Dive Center, North Carolina? posted by FARMHAND on September 22, 2005 at 12:28:37:

I wish I would have had more time to dive there.

Morehead is a little difficult to get to from LA. A full day of travel with lots of plane hopping. It is a wonderful beach community when you get there. Decent rooms, even in summer, can be gotten for less than $100.00/night.

The Olympus Dive Center is a full service dive store with its own dock and boats. It is primarily wreck diving. There is a two hour plus, bumpy by our standards, trip out on the mostly open air boats to the dive sites. The boat drops anchor in the middle of nowhere and usually in about 100 feet of water. Under the boat there will be a wreck.

When I was there about three years ago they openly allowed collecting. People brought up bullets etc. from the wreck sites. With the amount of collecting that was going on, I don't know how much of the wrecks, or thier artifacts, is left. I remember thinking at the time that they were eventually shooting their tourist trade in the foot.

They don't offer diving year round because of the weather, but they do go out most of the week during summer. The water temperature can be variable but it was in the 70's when I was there. Atalntic spade fish, some tropicals, and sharks are other attractions of the wrecks.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to