diver.net

What I can do to make things better

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Nate D on September 22, 2005 at 15:44:21:

In Reply to: I didn't mean to be kurt posted by Elaine on September 22, 2005 at 13:54:09:

Now we are getting somewhere... Pointing fingers and calling name does nothing..I agree.. personal attacks on medssage boars only get people angry..

This is what I think I can do to help..
-Don't buy commercially fish and seafood.. I shoot / grab what I eat.. Same thing when I hunt.. I do take more than I can eat.. But the family and friends around me make very sure nothing is wasted :)

-Stay off boats.. This may just be my view, but I think that dive / sportfishing boats are a real problem for the enviroment. They are horrable gas guzzlers. In our time of global warming and energy problems, staying off the boats seems like a good thing on my part.. This also keeps my take down.. Seeing that I am not at the "hot" spots all the time, I take from the area infront of me (PV and Malaga) I understand if everyone did this the pressure would be extreamly high, but this is what I can do...

-Freedive- less impact on the enviroment.. No extra energy used for airfills. Less spooked wildlife, and less game infront of me.
I have a hard time finding people to dive with at times I go.. So I just go solo and freedive.. I freedive for lobster too.. During the day. I still have no problems getting a limit if I need it..

-Everyone buy a fishing Lic... I liked the idea that the photo people should buy them too. More Lic. means more money for the DFG. And they really need it (weather they are doing the right thing or not, they are the only ones enforcing the rules)

-Train new divers / hunters.. I ove training new divers.. It makes me feel good and I can show them what is legal and OK to take..

-IDEA- saltwater hunters should have to take a hunter course.. Just like the hunters safty test for lan hunting.. Nothing over the top.. maybe a 1-2 hour class on fish / game ID, laws, and safty..

I will continue growing corals for aquaculture, but that is a different subject... I do not keep fish in my aquariums, too amny are caught using sodium cyanide and thats no good.. (but as a note, more fish a caught with cyanide for asian live fish restarunts than for the aquarium trade)

I often work closely with DFG and local police (they have the same powers as DFG in PVE) in finding and catching poachers. I have been responsable for the capture and arrest of 16 poachers.. I feel good about this..

Thats what I can do.. How about you?
Nate D

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to