diver.net

BSB ON THE SURFACE

JuJee Beads, handmade flamework glass beads

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by patrick on September 23, 2005 at 10:48:41:

In Reply to: GBSB are not surface swimmers posted by Elaine on September 20, 2005 at 16:05:39:

Years ago, in a gallaxy far, far away - Actually, it was the Deep Hole near county line... I was a young deckhand on the sportfishing boat Gentleman out of Paradise Cove, One of the passengers had yelled for a gaff for his approximately 12-15 pound halibut that he had fought to the surface, and was laid out next to the boat. I came around the bow with a gaff, the other deckhand came from the stern. We arrived, one on each side of the fisherman, at about the same moment. Naturally, our attention was focused on the flattie. As we reached out with the gaffs, I became aware of a disturbance in the water, approaching the boat. A BSB seemingly the size of a Volkswagon, and throwing a wake like a torpedo, erupted from beneath the flattie, and sucked it down (without chewing), made a turn and disappeared in a mass of foam. I'd say the whole event lasted maybe 6-8 seconds. The brief view, looking down that fish's maw was like lookin into a cave - pretty impresive.

Bon appetit!

Sometimes, well at least once, Black Sea Bass can be surface swimmers (and feeders).

Stay wet

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.