diver.net

Been to Bali 4 times, highly recommend it

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ California Scuba Diving BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott on September 28, 2005 at 11:46:10:

In Reply to: I was going to tell you we would let you know when we get back... posted by jlyle on September 27, 2005 at 15:08:04:

I've been to Bali 4 times and highly recommend it.

http://www.baliscuba.com/diving_trips.html CLICK HERE for a good dive site map
I've enjoyed diving Padang bai, Tulamben and Amed, but my favorite was on the North side at the marine sanctuary of Menjangan Island. Nusa Dua nad Nusa Penida wer OK.

General prices are far less expensive than Mexico. As an example, on my first trip in 1997, I sat next to a gentleman and his wife that were returning for another trip. Their first trip the year prior had been on their honeymonn where he claimed they had a 5 star hotel in the cultural city of Ubud, Bali for $50 USD per night.

There are lots of things to do; SCUBA, surfing, snorkeling with dolphins (Lovina), white water rafting, visiting Japanese WW2 caves, touring temples, evening Fire dance ceremonies and other cultural events. Starbuck lovers will be able to get their fix of Indonesian coffee and Ladies will enjoy shopping in Bali also.

The Balinese people are predominantly not Muslim nor Catholic so it is unlike the majority of the rest of Indonesia; a much more calm style that I think has some analogy to Thai Buddhists if you've travelled there. In fact there are several food dishes that you'll recognize if you've been to Thailand.

Most new travellers to Bali only know about the bombing which was done by Javanese not the locals and it is very rare that Balinese would be aggressive towards you.

PS - On the last trip, I walked into the Wakatobi offices at Kuta and decided to go on their trip when they offered a serious discount. I admittedly looked "well travelled" aka shabby so their opinion of me may have been a contributor to the poor service I received on that trip.

Follow Ups:

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
Optional Link Title:
Optional Image URL:
Post Background Color: White     Black
Post Area Page Width: Normal   Full
You must type in the
scrambled text key to
the right.
This is required to